Sunday 28 April 2013

Imbued With Arrogance

Some may have noted that UKIP this weekend have come under heavy fire from the Conservatives, an ill-disguised act of desperation by a party who are worried about Thursday's local elections. Of course if the main parties truly wanted to negate the UKIP threat then actually listening to the voters might help. But that would be too inconvenient.

In true Cameronesque style though it looks like the Tory tactics in the main are backfiring. It is rather amusing, and informative, however to watch the establishment squirm as they perceive a real threat to their comfortable status quo.

With that in mind, we note that the so-called buffoon Boris Johnson has waded in. I've made my feelings clear about him before. He's not a man to be underestimated in terms of power and ambition - the facade of buffoonery may have fooled Ken Livingstone during the London Mayoral elections - but it shouldn't fool us. In this we have further evidence in his latest article in the Telegraph - effectively titled "c'mon along chaps everything is all ok:
[Farage]’s a blooming Conservative, for heaven’s sake; and yet he’s in our constituencies, wooing our audiences, nicking our votes, and threatening to put our councillors out of office.
Behind the floppy blond hair we have assertions of "our constituencies", "our audiences", "our votes", "our councillors". None once does it occur to him (or does he care) that it is the electorates' votes, the electorates' constituencies, the electorates' councillors. I mean how dare other parties "steal Tory votes?" Boris Johnson articulating exactly the arrogance of the Tories, and indirectly also of the establishment. And he does it because he can.

Perhaps the Tories think he might make a better replacement for Cameron but if even he does become leader, for the rest of us it will be more of the same. We need another way.

9 comments:

  1. I'm no UKIP fan although I'll give Farage his due as eloquent and articulate.

    but they (the establishment) are a tad scared, even Redwood is having a pop

    http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2013/04/29/no-ukip-breakthrough-according-to-polls-and-press/

    what strikes me as fascinating is that for all his and its faults (UKIP that is)they are the first moderately serious challenge to the status quo and its having an effect, as can be seen from all the pro status quo commentators and advocates they are frightened of the effect that UKIP is having on their ability to hold office and the damage that a UKIP vote will do....

    I find it rather satisfying to be honest to see TPB a tad frightened, it gives me hope for the future for when we eventually get round to collectively withdrawing that one vital fundamental component of legitimacy......our CONSENT.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good old Mr Redwood, right on cue - he loves his Ukip bashing, been doing it for years.

      Agree about the first moderate challenge, in some ways I'm inclined to think Ukip may turn out to be a stalking horse...at the very least it will smoke out the tactics that could and probably will be used against the 6 demands movement. We can watch the mistakes and learn from them.

      Delete
  2. I think Boris was right, they are [traditionally] their votes and such, why is he wrong? But they've changed, so UKIP are entitled to those votes now.

    It's the Conservatives own fault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boris is wrong because they are not Tory votes - they don't belong to them. The votes belong to the electorate - they merely lend them out to the most suitable candidate.

      As a Ukip candidate I can tell you Boris is typical of Tory arrogance - "you're stealing our votes". They truly believe they're entitled to them regardless and they're not.

      Delete
    2. It is exactly that sort of arrogant thinking "these are our votes" that will cost them so much

      Delete
  3. You are a UKIP candidate? Sorry that took me aback. Aren't you usually highly critical of them, or at least of the leadership?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been critical of Ukip, mainly in the spirit - I hope - of being constructive rather than for the sake of it. There are elements of the leadership I don't agree with and have led me to be disillusioned which I still am. It's my view that Ukip has arrived at the current position largely by circumstance rather than by competence.

      Thus I'm an "on/off" member. I can confirm however that I'm standing in the local elections (as a paper candidate) mainly because I guessed who would be standing which would otherwise leave me with no-one to vote for. At least this way I can vote for myself if nothing else.

      Ukip does have a role as part of a movement - momentum is everything in politics - but it doesn't have all the solutions. So I guess it can act as a wrecking ball and the 6 demands can come along and tidy up the mess afterwards .

      Delete
  4. Been out tonight leafleting for UKIP. Not because i am a UKIP activist, just because I am mates with the UKIP chairman of the local branch who asked if i would help him out. I was quite taken aback by the amount of support they actually have. seriously, I was wearing a rosette thingy whilst delivering leaflets, and many people who saw me on their drive approaching their front door made a dash for the door. Was a little un nerving at first, thought i may be in for a bit of a mouthful, but no, people were really supportive and are "glad" someone is trying to do something about the state of things as they are.

    Even had many people telling me they are going to vote for me (which is rather clever as i am not standing, am not a member of UKIP, and was only helping a mate out).

    But as you say TBF, then UKIP is as good a "wrecking ball" as any. Anything to harm LibLabCon cant really be such a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jim, interesting. Where I'm standing I've seen more activity from the other parties in 2 weeks than I have in all the 10 years I've lived here. I've been canvassed twice by the local Tory in what is a safe seat for them.

      I think it's reasonable to conclude "they" are bricking it.

      Delete