Thursday 9 February 2012

HMRC

I can only agree
Now, check out this quote from the same article:
Chris Martin, from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), said outside Southwark Crown Court that the taxman had 'no regrets' about pursuing the case.

He said: 'We accept the verdicts of the jury but I would like to remind those who are evading tax by using offshore tax havens that it always makes sense to come to talk to us before we come to talk to you.'
How creepy is that?
As someone who runs a small business and had run-ins myself with HMRC - indeed they've resumed proceedings against me again last weekend after 8 months of 'silence', for money I have proved I don't owe - the above quote neatly illustrates the impunity and arrogance with which they act. Despite a jury's verdict they make it clear they don't agree with it and that's it's wrong.

Unfortunately the malaise of unaccountability runs deep within our country.

3 comments:

  1. @oldrightie I couldn't agree more - except that cretins is a far too nice term for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over years I've also had cause to interact with HMRC and a more unpleasant bunch one couldn't meet. They are, by the powers that they have and the powers they assume, a most frightening organisation. They need to be put back in their place, or I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future there is trouble. And, I suspect, no tears will be shed for them in such circumstances.
    They are of a mind as those pillars of probity the police, the social workers and the bbc. All apparently above the law and all insouciantly causing pain and misery to many of our fellow citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @JiC From my dealings, I hate them - they make it very clear, to me at least, that their primary objective is to make me lose my house and ruin my business - collecting tax is merely an afterthought.

    From the evidence reported, I didn't think Redknapp was guilty but even if he was it would have been a good two finger salute at HMRC - they thoroughly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete