Wednesday 7 December 2011

A Greasy Chip Butty

I feel I should write a piece on my thoughts on the latest Euro crisis. But I can't. I simply can't. Nothing significant appears to have changed, Cameron will still try to wriggle out of promises he made, the fundamental flaws will still exist and the markets will be temporarily jolly then retreat. AEP from the Telegraph puts it succinctly:

A blizzard of silly proposals has hit the wires this week as a legion of ministers, diplomats, commissars, high secretaries, and fellow travellers all lobby and conspire to create "momentum" behind pet themes. In the meantime, nothing workable is actually on the table before the "summit-to-save-the-euro" on Friday.

Be careful. Do not be distracted by Byzantine absurdities. And don’t listen to anybody who uses the term fiscal union. There is no such proposal. All we have so far is a Stability Pact with extra lipstick (Fiskalunion).

Nothing further to add.

It leaves me wondering whether I should write a generic post along the lines of; "nothing to see here, move along the bus please" and keep reposting it after every EU meeting a la Blue Peter's 'here's one I made earlier'. So I can only agree with this piece by Governmentitus who labels the Euro as being in "do not resuscitate" territory (ironically in his first posting for a long time).

Meanwhile, the BBC - in its wisdom - has spent the best part of the day regurgitation a 'bears heading towards woods clutching newspapers' story:
Nearly half of cancers diagnosed in the UK each year - over 130,000 in total - are caused by avoidable life choices including smoking, drinking and eating the wrong things, a review reveals.
This nannying by the BBC is relentless and I'm fed up of it. Can we have proper news not some uncritical publishing of a report by an organisation with an agenda?

So this is an ideal opportunity therefore to link to, what is in my view one of the finest football chants in the English game - the Greasy Chip Butty song by Sheffield United fans, the lyrics being sung to the tune of John Denver's Annie's song:
You fill up my senses
Like a gallon of Magnet
Like a packet of Woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Sheffield
Like a greasy chip butty
Like Sheffield United
Come fill me again....
I'm not sure what I like about this chant the most; the sound of 30,000 drunken Yorkshire men battering Denver's song into submission, the fluffy lyrics of the original sung by wool jumper wearing Denver being replaced by uncompromising Northern imagery, or the fact that when I've heard it sung at Bramall Lane copious children stand up singing (arms outstretched) "you fill up my senses...like a packet of Woodbines".

Anyway it's a wonderful riposte to the neverending BBC propaganda every week and no doubt would give some of those in the BBC, should they hear it, a heart attack....ironically.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the link Mr Frog.

    The cancer stats were on Sky News yesterday morning and must have been on all day because they were still going on last night about them - but I was amused that a lot of people were on Twitter discussing how 50% of people getting cancer must be living perfectly healthy lifestyles - seems the drinkers and the smokers are the minority of patients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem Daniel1979, a good point - I like it

    ReplyDelete